
So yesterday I was having lunch with my bosses (@ this pretty good Thai BBQ place lol) & the conversation about all these social networking websites came up. I stated I was on here, facebook, youtube, linksys, Ibeatyou, & twitter. They all didn't understand, they thought I made myself to accessible. That got me thinking is my generation really putting itself out their. It's bad enough we have instant messaging (bbm, aim, yim, gchat) & cell phones (some of us have 2) & the many emails. But now we have all these social networking sites. It's crazy but someone like me, who hates to answer phones calls and return text, is on so much stuff. You can call me, text me, instant message me on 1 of my 5, email me on one of my 3 emails, the sad part is all those goes straight to my phone.
Then I started to think, we are only acceptable to who we want to be, I love facebook, twitter, & instant messaging, because it gives me a chance to keep in contact with people, I would either not keep up with or wouldn't want them to call me. It is away to keep distance from certain people but still be able to check in with them. I mean sometimes it can be hard, esp if its an ex friend or lover, but usually you hear about what they are doing any way, so either way you would find out. My friend said well what if you are hiding from someone, that is also find. If your smart, like me, you don't have to put your real name. The only websites you can search me on is youtube, facebook & linksys. Thats because I use an alias for the rest & the only reason I don't on those three websites, is because facebook & linksys you need to be my friend to see anything & youtube doesn't have any information about me on it, I actually think you need my email for youtube. Now Twitter is a different subject, but once again that has nothing personal about me & if I wanted I could block it to the public & change my name on it.
The only thing bad I will say about these websites is that it has made us socially retarded. We all have friends that we can talk to everyday on aim or facebook, but once we see them in person its like ummm ok what do we talk about next. I think people are more comfortable talking when they know you can't see them, then when they are in front of you.
So yes we are more accessible, but it all depends on how accessible you want to be, because no one forces you to push reply or to put all the information you want on these websites. Its up to your discretion and only you can control who sees/read what
No comments:
Post a Comment